Plague Verified in Albany County Cat
September 1, 2022
Laboratory testing has not long ago confirmed a rural Albany County cat died of plague, according to the Wyoming Section of Well being (WDH).
The cat’s residence was in the Laramie region and the animal lived largely outdoors or in outbuildings. Other cats in a group at the very same spot have also died during the earlier numerous months, indicating most likely distribute of plague.
Although there have been no human illnesses associated with the current Albany County circumstance, WDH documented a human scenario of pneumonic plague in a Fremont County person who had publicity to unwell pet out of doors cats previous September. According to the federal Facilities for Disorder Regulate and Avoidance, in the course of 2010-2019 there was an normal of five human plague circumstances just about every calendar year in the United States.
“Plague is a serious bacterial an infection that can be deadly for pets and persons if not taken care of as shortly as achievable with antibiotics,” mentioned Courtney Tillman, epidemiologist with WDH. “The ailment can be passed to human beings from ill animals and by fleas coming from infected animals. We are permitting persons know of the likely danger in the cat’s residence area as very well as providing a reminder about plague to people today across the state.”
“While the disorder is rare in individuals, plague takes place naturally in the western United States in parts wherever rodents and their fleas come to be infected,” Tillman stated. “It is safe and sound to presume a chance for plague exists all close to our point out.”
Encouraged precautions to support stop plague infection involve:
- Use repellent if exposure to fleas is attainable through routines these as tenting, climbing or working outdoors. Products made up of DEET can be used to the skin as perfectly as clothing.
- Hold fleas off indoor and out of doors pets by applying flea handle merchandise. Animals that roam freely outdoor are far more very likely to arrive into get in touch with with plague-contaminated animals or fleas.
- Steer clear of unnecessary exposure to rodents, which includes keeping away from parts with unexplained rodent die-offs and rodent carcasses.
- If animals develop into sick, seek treatment for them from a veterinarian as before long as achievable.
- Do not permit dogs or cats that roam cost-free to share beds with folks.
- Minimize rodent habitats close to the home, office and recreational parts by taking away brush, rock piles, junk, cluttered firewood and feasible rodent food provides.
- Dress in gloves and a mask if managing most likely infected or deceased animals to reduce contact amongst your pores and skin and the plague germs and to avoid inhaling the plague microbes.
Plague signs or symptoms in pets can involve enlarged lymph glands swelling in the neck, encounter or about the ears fever chills absence of vitality coughing vomiting diarrhea and dehydration.
Plague indications in people can involve fever, swollen and tender lymph glands, excessive exhaustion, headache, chills, coughing, problem breathing, stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea. Folks who are unwell need to seek out experienced health care attention.
More information and facts about plague is offered from the federal Facilities for Ailment Manage and Prevention at http://www.cdc.gov/plague/.